- The Society will be known as THE SKEWEN AND DISTRICT HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
- The aim of the Society is to safeguard the history of the area, and to promote and maintain maximum interest in its culture, industry and traditions, using all means to ensure that those legacies we have inherited will be preserved for future generations.
- MEMBERSHIP will be available to any person within the district, or who has a connection, or interest in, matters appertaining to the area. The Society shall consist of: a) President; b) Vice-Presidents; c) Honorary Life Members; d) Full Members.
- The affairs of the Society shall be regulated by means of rules adopted at the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING of the members. The Constitution and Rules shall not be amended, except at the A.G.M., by a two thirds majority
- The management of the Society shall be vested in a Committee who must have access to the internet, and which shall consist of a Chairperson, a Vice-Chairperson, a Secretary, an Assistant Secretary, and Treasurer, together with six members: all to be elected at the Annual General Meeting. The Chairperson shall serve for a maximum of two years and on retirement may serve for the ensuing year as one of the six Committee Members. The Committee, when necessary may co-opt members The Committee will meet every two months, with each member required to attend a minimum of four times a year. They will have the power to form sub-committees within their group as necessary. A Quorum shall consist of five members.
- The Society will manage and develop a social media and website presence. A Facebook administrator and Website Manager will be appointed from the committee. An external Website Master will be appointed on an Honorarium.
- The ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING will be held at the March meeting, following a prior notice of one month. At this meeting, Officers will report and the Treasurer will present a Statement of Accounts including a Balance Sheet as at the 31st December. The Officers shall be elected by a majority vote.
- An EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING may be represented by a minimum of eight members on receipt of a signed motion, or can be called by the President or Chairperson, if deemed necessary.
- The funds of the Society shall be provided by subscription payable on the 1st January. The amount of each subscription shall be decided at the Annual General Meeting. The Committee may augment its income by any other means within its power. The custody and control of the property and income of the Society shall be vested in the Committee.
- On dissolution of the Society, all assets shall be given to the West Glamorgan Archive Service, and all monies will be shared between local charities, to be decided by the Committee.
HCJH 4th March 2003
Amended- 26th February 2009, 5th March 2012, 25th March 2022